Thursday, September 11, 2014

R.I.P. RICHARD KIEL - Sept 13, 1939 - September 10, 2014

Thanx to Douglas McEwan for informing me that our hero, and my namesake Richard Kiel as "Eegah!!," passed away yesterday at the age of 74, just three days short of his 75th birthday! I had always hoped we'd do an interview with Richard one day, but that just proves you need to act on these things if you want to get them done! Good-Bye big guy, we're gonna miss you!! Here's just a handful of shots from Richard's wildly entertaining career!

Richard Kiel as "Eegah!" (1962)

Ricard Kiel as 'The Giant' in "House Of The Damned!!" (1963)

Richard Kiel as Dr. Kolos in "The Human Duplicators!!!" (1965)

Richard Kiel as Otto in "A Man Called Dagger!!!!" (1968)

7 comments:

Dr. Theda said...

Sorry to hear of his passing.....
He was also several "Monsters" on the TV show "the Night Stalker".....

Eegah!! said...

Thanx Doc, yeah, we have only scratched the surface of Richard's career! One role I will never forget was Kanamit in "The Twilight Zone" episode entitled "To Serve Man!"

Dr. Theda said...

Him with his "Book".... one of my favorites since early childhood.....

Eegah!! said...

Yep! That's what I'm talkin' about!

TABONGA! said...

The Dungeon just got kicked in the nuts!

Grant said...

I just saw EEGAH! again, the MST3K version. In spite of all the jokes they make, those three MST versions of his movies are a perfectly nice way to see them right now.
In fact, in their PHANTOM PLANET episode, they pay him a little compliment by saying that he's about the ONLY person in the cast to watch for in the movie. (I'm sure Colleen Gray fans would disagree with that, but it's still a compliment to him.)

Douglas McEwan said...

It is a shame you never did the interview, because you'd have enjoyed it, and we've have enjoyed reading it. When I met him, I found him articulate, intelligent, friendly, approachable and with a warm sense of humor. I had seen him on stage with Joel Grey in Roar of the Greasepaint, Smell of the Crowd back in the 1960s, and when I brought it up, he was clearly very happy to have something to talk about other than his monsters and "Jaws," not that he wasn't justifiably proud of those. He was quite proud of his stage work. I found I liked him a lot, and meeting him was a distinct pleasure. Nice guy. R.I.P. indeed.

Monster Music

Monster Music
AAARRGGHHH!!!! Ya'll Come On Back Now, Y'Hear??